Hey from EL The Cook!
Souffles simply put are sauces which are as light as air. Doesn’t make sense?
Souffles are mixtures of eggs and butter, flavored with cheese in this recipe. The idea is to get hot air to cook the mixture and get some of the air trapped in the white of the eggs to make them almost triple the size you initially started with.
Fun to make and pure excitement to eat, Try our fail proof recipe of this delicious Cheese Souffle!
- 1 1/2 oz all purpose flour
- 1/2 pint boiling milk
- 3 oz melted butter
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tbsp salt, pepper
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 2 1/2 pint souffle mould
- 4 pt saucepan
- Wooden spatula
- Wire whish
- 2 large bowls
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Measure all your ingredients and butter inside of souffle mold. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese
- Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Cook over moderate heat until the butter and flour foam together for a minute without browning. Remove from heat and when mixture has stopped bubbling, add in all the boiling milk at once. Beat vigorously with whisk till blended. Beat in seasonings Return over moderate heat and boil, stirring continuously. The mixture will be very thick.
- Remove from heat. Immediately start to separate your eggs. Drop white into a separate bowl and yolks into the center of the hot sauce. Continue to separate the eggs in the same manner. Correct seasoning.
- Add and extra egg white to the ones in the bowl and beat with salt until stiff. Stir in large spoonfuls at a time into the sauce. Beating as shown below.
- Stir in all but a large spoonful of cheese. Delicately fold into the rest of the egg whites.
- Turn souffle mixture into the prepared mold which should be three quarters full. Tap bottom of the mold on the table to smooth surface. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese.
- Place on a rack in the middle of your preheated oven. Turn down temperature to 375F
- In 25-30 minutes, the souffle would have risen about 2 inches above the mold. The top will be nicely browned.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes to firm up and serve immediately.
HOW TO SERVE
A souffle given 5 minutes outside the oven will start to sink. Serve with a dollop of butter on the top when straight out of the oven.